Is there a programming language that is combination of Python and Basic?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 18:02:11 EDT 2009

Mensanator wrote:
> I once translated a BASIC program to Pascal (hint: no goto allowed).
> The original code had GOSUBs that never executed a REURN because
> the programmer jumped away to line numbers on a whim. Biggest piece
> of crap I ever had to misfortune to deal with.

It's clear that you haven't done anything in BASIC since the 80s.  And
probably the original poster hasn't either.  So let's just clear the air
here.

I haven't seen a "GOTO" in BASIC code in probably almost 20 years, ever
since BASIC gained true structure.  In fact as BASIC is used today, it's
really similar to Pascal, but a lot nicer to work with.  BASIC is a very
structure language, and in VB, it's also object-oriented, although I'm
sure lots of crap is written in VB.  You may shudder at the thought, but
BASIC is very much a modern language now.  If you're bored, check out
freebasic.net.  Not that I recommend you use FreeBASIC for anything (nor
do I recommend most languages but python!).

Spaghetti code can be written in *any* language.  It's nothing inherent
to BASIC.  I have seen spaghetti python, particularly projects that are
designed around the twisted framework.  Tracing execution through
twisted is very painful.

That said, what the original poster is looking for is very silly.