Is there a programming language that is combination of Python and Basic?

Fri Apr 17 19:22:43 EDT 2009

Michael Torrie wrote:
> baykus wrote:
>> I am looking for one of those experimental languages that might be
>> combination of python+basic. Now thta sounds weird and awkward I know.
>> The reason I am asking is that I always liked how I could reference-
>> call certain line number back in the days. It would be interesting to
>> get similar functionality in Python.
>
> *No one* in the BASIC world uses line numbers anymore.  Why would you
> want to? ...

The problem I see is that Basic as you use it above is not a language,
but a family of languages.  Different Basics share as much (and as
little) as different SQLs.   For my money, Visual Basic 5.0 is a
language.  THe different Microsoft Basics usually have a lot of language
change, rather than being library additions.  A lot of very different
languages have been called Basic, with the attendant confusion as old
syntax or semantics are abandoned or changed.  The changes to Python 3.x
is a language change, but Python has been _very_ conservative about
changing (as opposed to extending) the language.

There are only a few languages that might plausibly called "Basic",
and Dartmouth Basic has maybe the best claim to that name.

--Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org