Is there a programming language that is combination of Python and Basic?

Mensanator mensanator at aol.com
Fri Apr 17 23:45:30 EDT 2009

On Apr 17, 9:43 pm, Steven D'Aprano <st... at REMOVE-THIS-
cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 14:00:18 -0700, Mensanator wrote:
> > On Apr 17, 3:37 pm, baykus <baykusde... at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi
>
> >> I am looking for one of those experimental languages that might be
> >> combination of python+basic. Now thta sounds weird and awkward I know.
>
> > That's a clue you won't find anyone seriously contemplating such idiocy.
>
> >> The reason I am asking is that I always liked how I could reference-
> >> call certain line number back in the days.
>
> > A bad idea. If you really want to write bad code, learn C.
>
> >> It would be interesting to get similar functionality in Python.
>
> > Yeah, it would "interesting" just as a train wreck is "interesting", as
> > long as you're not the one who has to live through it.
>
> Nevertheless, somebody *has* implemented such functionality in Python.
> Not just GOTO, but also COMEFROM.

Really? Well, _I_ for one, won't be beating a path to his door.

> http://entrian.com/goto/
>
> > I once translated a BASIC program to Pascal (hint: no goto allowed).
>
> Pascal has GOTOs.

I know. _I'm_ the one who didn't allow them. And the code ended up
pretty damn bulletproof.

> People rarely used them, because even in the 1970s and
> 80s they knew that unstructured gotos to arbitrary places was a terrible
> idea.

That was obvious from the BASIC code, enough to make you shake
your head in disbelief.

> GOTO in Pascal required that you defined a label in your code, then you
> could jump to that label. You can't jump to arbitrary parts of the
> program, only within the current procedure.

And I deliberately made no effort to learn how to use them. And I
never
had a situation I couldn't solve the "proper" way.