Essential tools for Python development

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Wed Apr 22 00:00:15 EDT 2009

Esmail <ebonak at hotmail.com> writes:

> What techniques/tools do you recommend for debugging?

I use the Python interactive shell, and code each module so that the
behaviour is easily introspected and tested from outside the module. If
I'm not able to easily introspect the code at an interactive prompt,
that's a clear sign that the code interface is poorly designed. So I fix
that first.

By all accounts, the ‘pdb’ module makes for a good low-level debugging
tool. I've never needed it though.

--
 \          “Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a |
  `\                                          feature.” —Rich Kulawiec |