installer for py2exe files?

Werner F. Bruhin werner.bruhin at free.fr
Wed Apr 22 07:31:45 EDT 2009

Hi Gabriel,

Gabriel Rossetti wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am wanting to create an installer for my project. I first use py2exe
> to create win32 executables and then would like to have an easy to use
> (for the end user) installer.
I use InnoSetup - link already given by David.
  I would need the installer to launch a
> script (a python script also turned into an exec) after the install is
> done, or even better yet, incorperate the script's tasks in the
> installation process (configure files, check for open ports, etc.). Does
> anyone have an idea, recommendation or has had a similar situation before?
If you install on e.g. Vista then the installer is running as admin, be
careful when you want to set configuration info.  You might set it for
the admin instead of for the real user.

IIRC, you should only set HKCR and HKLM keys in the registry, do not set
HKCU unless you want to set something for the admin.

You also have to watch out that you application folder is read-only,
i.e. do not store configuration files in your application program folder
  if they might get changed by the user.  If you do and user changes
them then they will be written to a folder under the users home folder
and this might cause strange errors and/or confusion.

There are some more tips and more details about all this on the
InnoSetup site.

Werner