What is the best framework or module in Python for a small GUI based application development?

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Wed Apr 22 11:51:06 EDT 2009

> My requirement is to write an application which is GUI based
> has to run on browsers. Could you tell me which one would be
> suitable for this?

These are generally 2 different things:  either you're writing a
local GUI rich-client (in which case, use the GuiProgramming wiki
link Mike sent), or you're doing web development targeting
browsers in which case you should investigate the myriad web
programming frameworks for Python (Django, Turbogears, CheryPy,
web.py, webstack, etc).

There's a third "type" of application that I abhor, usually
developed in Flash/Silverblight/JavaFX that runs within a
web-browser, but allows for richer interactions/rendering than
your average web-page.  However, I don't know of any python
tie-ins for any of these environments.

There's also a blurred line if you embed a web-browser in a local
GUI application.

-tkc