pyflakes, pylint, pychecker - and other tools

Aahz aahz at
Wed Apr 22 18:14:17 CEST 2009

In article <gsn283$jff$1 at>, Colin J. Williams <cjw at> wrote:
>pylint seems a bit heavy handled, a bit too much PEP 8, which was
>intended as a guide, rather than a prescription.

That's half-true on both counts:

First of all, any new library must be PEP 8-compliant for submission to
the standard library, so PEP 8 is indeed somewhat prescriptive.

Second, you can configure pylint to respect your personal style; I think
that pylint's default PEP 8 configuration makes a lot of sense.
Aahz (aahz at           <*>

until you hire an amateur."  --Red Adair