Splice decorator out of exception stack trace?

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Wed Apr 22 15:08:12 EDT 2009

Ben Weaver wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there any way to "splice" a decorator out of an exception stack
> trace?  For example:

> ...     def internal(*args, **kwargs):
> ...         return proc(*args, **kwargs)
> ...     return internal

> ... def foo():
> ...     assert False, 'simulate failure'

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "<...>", line 1, in <module>
>  File "<...>", line 3, in internal
>  File "<...>", line 3, in foo
> AssertionError: simulate failure
>
> I would like to know if it's possible to somehow end up with this
> stack trace instead:
>
>  File "<...>", line 1, in <module>
>  File "<...>", line 3, in foo

It is possible, but not a good idea. You are misleading developers hunting
for bugs.

import sys

def crash():
    1/0

def deco(f):
    def g(*args, **kw):
        try:
            print "entering f%s" % (args,)
            f(*args, **kw)
        except:
            v, t, tb = sys.exc_info()
            raise v, None, tb.tb_next
    return g

@deco
def f(n):
    if n:
        f(n-1)
    else:
        crash()

f(5)

Ouput:

$ python doctored_traceback.py
entering f(5,)
entering f(4,)
entering f(3,)
entering f(2,)
entering f(1,)
entering f(0,)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "doctored_traceback.py", line 24, in <module>
    f(5)
  File "doctored_traceback.py", line 19, in f
    f(n-1)
  File "doctored_traceback.py", line 19, in f
    f(n-1)
  File "doctored_traceback.py", line 19, in f
    f(n-1)
  File "doctored_traceback.py", line 19, in f
    f(n-1)
  File "doctored_traceback.py", line 19, in f
    f(n-1)
  File "doctored_traceback.py", line 21, in f
    crash()
  File "doctored_traceback.py", line 4, in crash
    1/0
ZeroDivisionError

Peter