Python Packages : A looming problem? packages might no longer work? (well not on your platform or python version anyway)

David Stanek dstanek at dstanek.com
Thu Apr 23 07:04:35 EDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 12:33 AM, David Lyon <david.lyon at preisshare.net> wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>>> Why should the package developer dictacte which python version the
>>> package will run on ?
>>
>> Because they're the developer. Who else should decide what Python
>> versions to support?
> The developer shouldn't be making such decisions at all....
> What hardware or operating systems we run his/her programs on is
> up to the real world to decide.
> If you think about it logically... why are we even asking our
> developers to even "build" their packages for specific python
> versions in the first place?
> They should just:

You should abandon this argument. Your original idea of a huge build
infrastructure had some merit. This is just off the wall.

If I use win32com how do you expect me to support Linux? What about
the many packages on PYPI containing C? What if I decide to write only
to Python 3? Who will support the other platforms if not the
developer?

--
David
blog: http://www.traceback.org