Python Packages : A looming problem? packages might no longer work? (well not on your platform or python version anyway)

Marco Mariani marco at sferacarta.com
Thu Apr 23 08:13:37 EDT 2009

David Lyon wrote:

>> What if I decide to write only to Python 3?
>
> Fair enough. But don't forget it is open source.

So what?

> Let me ask these two questions...
>
>  - What about the use case where somebody likes the code and wants
>    to use it on Python 2.5?

A patch, a fork, whatever.

>  - Should not that user be able to share back with other
>    Python 2.5 users?

Probably. But not necessarily on the same project or repository.
Especially if the port is not supported by the original/trunk developer.

> If anything.... my suggestion promotes preserving the resources
> of the original developer rather than letting them expire just
> because their operating system does....

I think your idea would be very costing in terms of man-years, and the
net result would be... entropy, chaos, and a lot of CO2 :-)