Configuring pylint for local conventions (was: pyflakes, pylint, pychecker - and other tools)

Jeremiah Dodds jeremiah.dodds at
Thu Apr 23 17:11:09 CEST 2009

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 2:58 PM, Ben Finney
<ben+python at<ben%2Bpython at>
> wrote:

> aahz at (Aahz) writes:
> > Second, you can configure pylint to respect your personal style
> How? I haven't seen any decent documentation on doing so.
> --
>  \          “When we call others dogmatic, what we really object to is |
>  `\   their holding dogmas that are different from our own.” —Charles |
> _o__)                                                           Issawi |
> Ben Finney
> --

I'm fairly certain that ~/.pylint.rc is just the command line options
available to pylint made into a conf file.

See for an example.

So, for a section from pylint --help like so:

    --notes=<comma separated values>
                        List of note tags to take in consideration,
                        by a comma. [current: FIXME,XXX,TODO]

You would make a configuration item like so:

This is a fairly common thing for command-line app configurations.