(UPDATE) Memory problems (garbage collection)

Carbon Man darwin at nowhere.com
Thu Apr 23 23:52:28 EDT 2009

Thanks for the replies. I got my program working but the memory problem
remains. When the program finishes and I am brought back to the PythonWin
the memory is still tied up until I run gc.collect(). While my choice of
platform for XML processing may not be the best one (I will change it later)
I am still concerned with the memory issue. I can't believe that it could be
an ongoing issue for Python's xml.dom, but nobody was able to actually point
to anything in my code that may have caused it? I changed the way I was
doing string manipulation but, while it may have been beneficial for speed,
it didn't help the memory problem.
This is more nuts and bolts than perhaps a newbie needs to be getting into
but it does concern me. What if my program was a web server and periodically
received these requests? I decided to try something:

if __name__ == '__main__':
    replicate = reptorParsing()
    replicate.process(filename=os.path.join(os.getcwd(), "request.xml"))
    import gc
    gc.collect()

Fixed the problem, though I wouldn't know why. Thought it might be something
to do with my program but...

if __name__ == '__main__':
    replicate = reptorParsing()
    replicate.process(filename=os.path.join(os.getcwd(), "request.xml"))
    del replicate

Did not resolve the memory problem.

Any ideas?