Large data arrays?

Ole Streicher ole-usenet-spam at gmx.net
Fri Apr 24 03:17:03 EDT 2009

Hi John,

John Machin <sjmachin at lexicon.net> writes:
> The Morton layout wastes space if the matrix is not square. Your 100K
> x 4K is very non-square. Looks like you might want to use e.g. 25
> Morton arrays, each 4K x 4K.

What I found was that Morton layout shall be usable, if the shape is
rectangular and both dimensions are powers of two. But, all examples
were done with equal dimensions, so I am a bit confused here.

>From my access pattern, it would be probably better to combine 25 rows
into one slice and have one matrix where every cell contains 25 rows.

Are there any objections about that?

Best regards

Ole