Convert numpy.ndarray into "normal" array

MRAB google at mrabarnett.plus.com
Fri Apr 24 08:06:18 EDT 2009

Johannes Bauer wrote:
> Hi group,
>
> I'm confused, kind of. The application I'm writing currently reads data
> from a FITS file and should display it on a gtk window. So far I have:
>
> [...]
> pb = gtk.gdk.Pixbuf(gtk.gdk.COLORSPACE_RGB, False, 8, width, height)
> pb_pixels = pb.get_pixels_array()
>
> print(type(fits_pixels))
> print(type(pb_pixels))
>
> which gives
>
> <type 'numpy.ndarray'>
> <type 'array'>
>
> So now I want to copy the fits_pixels -> pb_pixels. Doing
>
> pb_pixels = fits_pixels

This simply makes pb_pixels refer to the same object as fits_pixels. It
doesn't copy the values into the existing pb_pixels object.

> works and is insanely fast, however the picture looks all screwed-up
> (looks like a RGB picture of unititialized memory, huge chunks of 0s
> interleaved with lots of white noise).
>
> Doing the loop:
>
> for x in range(width):
> 	for y in range(height):
> 		pb_pixels[y, x] = fits_pixels[y, x]
>
> works as expected, but is horribly slow (around 3 seconds for a 640x480
> picture).

This does copy the values into the existing pb_pixels object.

> So now I've been trying to somehow convert the array in a fast manner,
> but just couldn't do it. What exactly is "array" anyways? I know
> "array.array", but that's something completely different, right? Does
> anyone have hints on how to go do this?

You should be able to copy the values using array slicing, something
like:

     pb_pixels[:] = fits_pixels

or:

     pb_pixels[:, :] = fits_pixels