mailbox.mbox.add() sets access time as well as modification time

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid
Fri Apr 24 14:37:39 EDT 2009

On 2009-04-24, Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid> wrote:

> Anybody writing to an mbox mailbox has to follow the rules if
> they expect to interoperate with other mail applications.  If
> mailbox.mbox.add() doesn't preserve the atime when writing to
> an mbox, then mailbox.mbox.add is broken.

I should qualify that: since the documentation for add()
doesn't specify whether or not it's supposed to add a "new"
message or an "old" message, one could argue that either
behavior is correct.

However, since the maildir add() method adds a "new" message,
one would reasonably expect that the mbox add() method do the
same.  Or, I suppose one might expect the converse: since mbox
add() creates an "old" message, then maildir add() should do
the same.

I have my filesystems mouted with the "noatime" option and use
maildir...

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! !  The land of the
                                  at               rising SONY!!