confused with so many python package locations for imports

Krishnakant hackingkk at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 03:34:07 EDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-04-25 at 14:16 +0900, David Cournapeau wrote:
> Some of those locations are OS specific - pyshare is specific to
> debian I think, for example.

My Basic question is that, what package directory is Standard as far as
all gnu/linux distros are concerned?
In other words I would like to know if there is some package   directory
which is searched by default  for installed packages?  I believed it
was /usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages.
In the case of python 2.5 it must be the same, but correct me if I am
wrong.  I want my distutils setup.py to setup the package so that an
import statement can import the package no matter what distro of
gnu/linux we are running.

happy hacking.
Krishnakant.