Lisp mentality vs. Python mentality

Ciprian Dorin, Craciun ciprian.craciun at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 04:52:24 EDT 2009

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 11:36 AM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> I don't get that impression from Lisp programmers.
>
> I observe a phenomenon on language fanatics, no matter what language,
> but in particular for the less-than-mainstream language: the desire
> to formulate trivial algorithms over and over again, just to enjoy the
> beauty of the result (and sometimes the mere fact of being able to do
> so).
>
> I suppose people writing real applications in LISP have better things
> to spend time on.
>
> Regards,
> Martin

    Yes, you're right, Lisp people have better things to do, because
these algorithms are already implemented for them: just see ormap and
andmap functions that do just what we wanted...
    http://download.plt-scheme.org/doc/html/reference/pairs.html#(def._((quote._~23~25kernel)._ormap))
    http://download.plt-scheme.org/doc/html/reference/pairs.html#(def._((lib._scheme/private/map..ss)._andmap))

    Ciprian.

    P.S.: I'm not a language fanatic... I programmed both in Python
and Scheme (mostly in Python)...

    P.P.S.: I'm just trying to see why is Python better than Lisp or
vice-versa... I would say they are almost the same: both usable for
day-to-day real world applications...