Lisp mentality vs. Python mentality

Sun Apr 26 19:23:47 EDT 2009

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 05:07:25 -0700, bearophileHUGS wrote:

> Paul Rubin:
>> Arnaud Delobelle:
>> > Do you mean imap(comp, a, b)?
>>
>> Oh yes, I forgot you can do that.  Thanks.
>
> That works and is nice and readable:
>

> import operator
> from itertools import imap
>
> def equal_sequences(a, b, comp=operator.eq):
[snip]

Sorry, this is worse than unreadable. It is *misleading*. It doesn't test
for equal sequences except as a special case. What it does is perform a
generic element-by-element comparison, not necessarily an equality test.

What was wrong with the name compare() used in previous posts in this
thread?

--
Steven