mailbox.mbox.add() sets access time as well as modification time

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Sun Apr 26 23:04:42 EDT 2009

On 2009-04-26, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo at geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message <_vqdnf6PNY1gYmzUnZ2dnUVZ_qCdnZ2d at posted.visi>, Grant Edwards
> wrote:
>
>> ... if one didn't care about backwards-compatiblity with old e-mail
>> apps, then one would use a less broken mailbox format like
>> maildir.
>
> It's only in the proprietary-software world that we need to worry about
> backward compatibility with old, obsolete software that the vendors cannot
> or will not fix. In the Free Software world, we fix the software to bring it
> up to date.

Who's "we"?  Are you volunteering to fix all of the MUAs and
MTAs out there that have mbox code in them that do follow the
rules to make them compatible with _one_ broken library module?

It would be a lot simpler to fix Python's library so that _it_
followed the same rules that everybody else does.

For Pete's sake, it's _two_lines_of_code_.

--
Grant