Is there a maximum size to a Python program?

Mon Apr 27 04:17:20 EDT 2009

In message <gt3fv1$1aci$1 at news.ett.com.ua>, Paul Hemans wrote:

> One problem though that I didn't mention in my original
> posting was that the replication may only require updating one or more
> fields, that is a problem with a generating a single SQL statement to
> cover all requests.

That's not a big issue. Assume the field names and corresponding values are
coming from a Python dict, eg

    FieldValues = \
      {
        "field1" : ... value1 ...;
        "field2" : ... value2 ...;
     }

then you can construct an SQL statement on the fly with something like

    sqlcmd = \
        (
            "insert into my_table set "
        +
            ", ".join
              (
                "%s = %s" % (k, SQLString(FieldValues[k]))
                    for k in FieldValues.keys()
              )
        )

where SQLString is as defined at