mailbox.mbox.add() sets access time as well as modification time

tinnews at isbd.co.uk tinnews at isbd.co.uk
Tue Apr 28 07:02:54 EDT 2009

Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo at geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message <jO2dnWplUopXvWjUnZ2dnUVZ_qudnZ2d at posted.usinternet>, Grant
> Edwards wrote:
>
> > On 2009-04-26, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo at geek-central.gen.new_zealand>
> > wrote:

> >> It's only in the proprietary-software world that we need to worry about
> >> backward compatibility with old, obsolete software that the vendors
> >> cannot or will not fix. In the Free Software world, we fix the software
> >> to bring it up to date.
> >
> > Who's "we"?  Are you volunteering to fix all of the MUAs and
> > MTAs out there that have mbox code in them that do follow the
> > rules to make them compatible with _one_ broken library module?
>
> All the MUAs and MTAs I'm aware of that are worth bothering about have the
> option to support maildir format these days.

Yes, but as I explained earlier in this thread there are reasons why
one might want to stay with mbox.  I use mutt which can quite happily
cope with either mbox or maildir (and some other formats), it can even
work with a mix of mailbox types.

I've used mutt for several years now and have tried to move to maildir
more than once and have always returned to mbox because the
disadvantages of maildir outweigh the benefits (for me).  Currently I
run mutt on a remote server where I have to use maildir because their
file systems are mounted noatime.  I am moving to reading mail on my
own Linux box just because I want to get back to mbox, this python
issue is about the only thing I have to overcome before I have what I
want.

--
Chris Green