bug with os.rename in 2.4.1?

MRAB google at mrabarnett.plus.com
Tue Apr 28 19:45:23 CEST 2009

t123 wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone has seen this problem before?
> I have a job that runs hourly.  Part of the processing is to rename a
> file using os.rename.  The file name is the same every hour.
> Sometimes the os.rename fails and the file does not get renamed.  It
> only happens occasionally.  Most of the time it works just fine.
> Appreciate any ideas.
This can happen if an antivirus checker, or Windows indexing service
(assuming you're using Windows), or some such background task, is
accessing the file at the time. It's a good idea to wait a short time
and then retry, perhaps more than once, before giving up. Just write a
short function to do this.