sorting items in a table problematic because of scientific notation

MRAB google at
Wed Apr 29 02:15:26 CEST 2009

Davis, Amelie Y wrote:
> Hi All,
> I have a dbf table outputted by another program that I cannot (I’m
> pretty sure) change the format of.
> I use a dbf reader code found online
> ( ) to read the table in and
> I need to sort it on a particular field but this field has scientific
> notation in it and when I use the following command, it seems to ignore
> the scientific notation which is very problematic outlist =
> sorted(records, key=itemgetter(2)) .
The field you're sorting on is actually a string. For example, '1' comes
before '2', so '10' comes before '2'.

If you want to sort by numeric value then you need to get the numeric

     outlist = sorted(records, key=float(itemgetter(2)))