Python installation challenge

skip at skip at
Wed Apr 29 19:56:46 CEST 2009

    Evan> ...  've tried to install from source, and I've tried to install
    Evan> with apt-get, but no matter which method I use, my installation is
    Evan> crippled.  When I try to install Python 2.6.2 or 2.6.1, the
    Evan> installer warns me that it has failed to install zlib and
    Evan> binascii.

Do you have the zlib -dev package installed?  If not, you need it.  Dunno if
that will affect binascii installation.  Pick through the file
looking for binascii.  See what header files it's looking for.

Skip Montanaro - skip at -
    America's vaunted "free press" notwithstanding, story ideas that expose
    the unseemly side of actual or potential advertisers tend to fall by the
    wayside.  Not quite sure why.  -- Jim Thornton