What do you think of ShowMeDo

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Apr 30 00:17:00 EDT 2009

Bret Fledderjohn wrote:

> 2009/4/29 David Robinow <drobinow at gmail.com <mailto:drobinow at gmail.com>>
>
>     On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 9:29 AM,  <kyran at showmedo.com
>     <mailto:kyran at showmedo.com>> wrote:
>      > To reiterate, I responded to this thread because I think Ben's
>     posting
>      > gave an unfair impression of the site and i felt the need to address
>      > some misconceptions. I am sorry you failed to find the videos, but
>      > many tens of thousands are found every week and I really haven't
>     heard
>      > of anyone failing to find their way to the content. In this sense I
>      > think you are exceptional.
>     Count me as one who couldn't find his way. I'm not usually very
>     sympathetic to whining about Gui's that aren't perfect, but this one
>     is beyond my ability to traverse.
>     I'd really like to view some of the content. I have no concern about
>     the licensing; I have no intent to redistribute. Why do you make it so
>     difficult?
>     How about an ftp site with a directory of videos? That I could
>     understand.
>

> Not sure why navigation has been a problem, I was able to follow it.  A
> bit too many choices to get to the same place in round about ways, but I
> was able to navigate it.  This thread has piqued my interest, so having
> done no real GUI programming in Python, I am going to try out Kyran's
> wxPython tutorial.

I recently watched a Crunchy video by following a direct link from the
Crunchy site.  Because of this thread, I decided to try starting at the
top == www.showmedo.com   .  I felt disoriented at first because I kept
clicking on what turned out to be series boxes (on the right) and never
got to a video.

Suggestion: When I entered 'Python' in the search box, I got a page with
rectangular boxes representing paths, series, and videos.  But each was
clearly labeled as such and in different colors.  Extending the same to
regular pages and not just search would be helpful I think.

Terry Jan Reedy