league problem in python

Andrew Henshaw andrew.henshaw at gtri.gatech.edu
Thu Apr 2 14:29:50 EDT 2009

"Ross" <ross.jett at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:d5cc0ec7-5223-4f6d-bab4-3801dee501cd at r37g2000yqn.googlegroups.com...
... snip ...
> I would like to create a simple program where the pro could enter in
> how many people were in the league, the number of courts available,
> and the number of weeks the schedule would run and then generate a
> schedule where everybody played everybody else once and got the same
> number of bye weeks, preferably spaced out evenly.
>
> How should I go about starting this problem...I'm feel like this is a
> really simple problem, but I'm having writer's/coder's block. Can you
> guys help?

At least as a start, you want the round-robin tournament algorithm (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round-robin_tournament).  Here's some code that
I use:

###### begin code  #######
def roundrobin(teams, rounds=1):
    # if odd number of teams, add a "bye" team
    if len(teams) % 2:
        teams.append(None)
    mid = len(teams) // 2
    for i in range(rounds):
        yield zip(teams[:mid], teams[mid:])
        teams = teams[0:1] + teams[mid:mid+1] + teams[1:mid-1] +
teams[mid+1:] + teams[mid-1:mid]

### test code ###
if __name__ == '__main__':
    ROUNDS = 10
    # two test cases - even number of teams and odd number of teams
    for teams in  (range(6), range(5)):
        print "\nteams =", teams
        for round in roundrobin(teams, ROUNDS):
            print round