Building / making an application

Krishnakant hackingkk at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 15:32:10 EDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-08-02 at 20:21 +0100, Peter Chant wrote:
> What is a good way to do this?  There are instructions on making modules at:
>
> http://docs.python.org/distutils/setupscript.html
>
> however, what do you do if you don't want a module?  I'm thinking of where
> I'd like to split the code into several files and have a build / setup
> script put it together and install it somewhere such as /usr/local/bin.
> I'm interested in what the standard way of doing this is.

Have you considered creating a deb or rpm package for your application?
Most of the documentation for deb or rpm will talk about make files.
But even a distutil based python package (with a setup.py) can be made
into a deb package.
Then the your requirement will be satisfied at least for most gnu/linux
based distros.

happy hacking.
Krishnakant.