RUBY vs COMMON LISP

fft1976 fft1976 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 23:06:58 EDT 2009

On Aug 3, 8:02 pm, Carl Banks <pavlovevide... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 3, 7:51 pm, fft1976 <fft1... at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Aug 3, 1:19 am, p... at informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
> > wrote:

> > > I specified a syntactic reader.  Not just a reader.
>
> > It is a syntactic reader. BF's syntax is just a sequence of
> > characters. If you throw in illegal characters, the behavior is
> > "undefined". Lisp's syntax is more complicated: it's a tree of
> > identifiers (in its idealized form; of course, Common Lisp had to fuck
> > it up). Ruby's and Python's syntaxes are even more complicated.
>
> > The above was to illustrate the wrongness of your argument that the
> > length of a self-parser determines the usefulness of the language.
> > Hell, I know that BF can be a little *too* awesome.
>
> > By the way, Python's syntax is much better than Ruby's. Dollar signs
> > in front of variables? WTF were the designers smoking? That's like
> > Perl! Haven't you learned your lesson?
>
> > Python's syntax might even be better than Lisp's, but it's certainly
> > harder to parse.- Hide quoted text -
>
> Go away, troll.
>
> [This is cross-posted; I recommend that no one else follow up.]
>
> Carl Banks

Lispers were having fun badmouthing other languages for no good
reason:

"""
Don't you realize how ugly Ruby syntax is?

Here is in 150 lines of lisp, a simplified lisp reader that is able to
read all the lisp syntax needed to write it.

Try to parse Ruby syntax in Ruby and see how useless a language it
is.
"""

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.lisp/msg/52dde974d504ad54

Of course you don't like it when I point out just how wrong you are.