Announcing PythonTurtle

cool-RR ram.rachum at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 03:44:59 EDT 2009

On Aug 4, 7:12 am, John Posner <jjpos... at optimum.net> wrote:
> > ... I would also venture to say a key-map
> > of sorts that is available thru the help menu where one could push an
> > "Up" button, or a "rotate" button, and have the proper command
> > inserted in the prompt, and then have the command execute, may also
> > help make the connections here, a sort of *real* Visual Basic
> > programming -- sorry Microsoft :P
>
> Along these lines, see my "ClixTur" application atwww.jjposner.net.
> It's a point-and-click front end to the standard Python turtle module,
> implementing only a very small subset of the turtle commands. As you
> click, the "real turtle commands" appear in a transcript window. You can
> then save (and maybe edit) and replay the transcript.
>
> Ram, I like a lot of what you've done. Could you talk about your
> decision to embed the standard turtle module (which is implemented in
> Tkinter) in a wxPython application?
>
> -John

Certainly John- although I have not embedded the turtle module at all,
I just wrote my own. This was actually quite a short process - What
took the most time was developing the shell, which is a fork of
PyShell. The original PyShell controls the same process it is run on,
but my fork controls a different process (created by the
multiprocessing package.) That took a lot of time. I actually created
an independent package for it, called "shelltoprocess", which is a
subfolder in PythonTurtle's source, so now anyone can use it for their
own project. I am proud to say that this shell has some features that
IDLE should envy.

If you're asking WHY I put it in a wxPython application, the answer is
pretty much what "r" said: To make it like any other "over the
counter" Windows application, making people feel more comfortable with
it.
Also, not requiring them to install Python+packages, but just
PythonTurtle.

Ram.