Strange python script behaviour

Loïc Domaigné loic.domaigne at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 4 04:02:04 EDT 2009

Hi,

> I have a problem with one of my python scripts. When I run this script
> from command line it works correctly, but if I set up cron to run this
> script on specified hour it works for a while and then "[Errno 32]
> Broken pipe" error occures (always).
>
> The strangest thing is that if I change command in CRON
>
> from
> python /home/xxx/script.py
> python /home/xxx/script.py  > /tmp/script.log 2>&1
>
> the script always works correctly!!!
>
> The question is WHY? Any ideas?

This is a cron issue, and has little with python to do.

By default, cron will email the output produced by your script, unless
you redirect. It does so by pipe to a "mail" program. Your error seems
to indicate a problem with the latter (perhaps you don't have any
"mail" program installed).

HTH,
Loïc
--
My Blog: http://www.domaigne.com/blog

"To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer."
-- Paul Ehrlich