Is it possible to have the python color in the terminal ?

Mensanator mensanator at aol.com
Tue Aug 4 16:21:30 EDT 2009

On Aug 4, 1:53 pm, aurelien <aurele.... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am under gNewSense, i am a newbbie on Python, i look for how change
> the color terminal when python run.
> at the step >>> all is in black and white.
> Is it possible to have the python color in the terminal ?

Depends on whether your terminal supports ANSI codes.

For example, Windows does not, but the Cygwin terminal does.

So, from Cygwin I can do

>>> a = "\x1b[32m"
>>> a
'\x1b[32m'
>>> print a
>>>

>>> print b
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
NameError: name 'b' is not defined

And everything from the "print a" statement onwards is green.

An ANSI code: an escape character (ESC, ASCII value 27,
\x1b in hex) followed by the appropriate code sequence:

Code:    Meaning:

\x1b[0m  reset; clears all colors and styles (to white on black)
\x1b[1m  bold on (see below)
\x1b[3m  italics on
\x1b[4m  underline on
\x1b[7m  inverse on; reverses foreground & background colors
\x1b[9m  strikethrough on
\x1b[22m bold off (see below)
\x1b[23m italics off
\x1b[24m underline off
\x1b[27m inverse off
\x1b[29m strikethrough off
\x1b[30m set foreground color to black
\x1b[31m set foreground color to red
\x1b[32m set foreground color to green
\x1b[33m set foreground color to yellow
\x1b[34m set foreground color to blue
\x1b[35m set foreground color to magenta (purple)
\x1b[36m set foreground color to cyan
\x1b[37m set foreground color to white
\x1b[39m set foreground color to default (white)
\x1b[40m set background color to black
\x1b[41m set background color to red
\x1b[42m set background color to green
\x1b[43m set background color to yellow
\x1b[44m set background color to blue
\x1b[45m set background color to magenta (purple)
\x1b[46m set background color to cyan
\x1b[47m set background color to white
\x1b[49m set background color to default (black)