Do anyone here use Python *embedded* in a database?

Jon Clements joncle at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 5 10:32:37 EDT 2009

On 5 Aug, 13:17, Jonathan Fine <jf... at pytex.org> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm writing a talk that compares embed and extend, and wondered if
> anyone here ever used the Python *embedded* in a database server.
>      http://twistedmatrix.com/users/glyph/rant/extendit.html
>
> Web frameworks (such as Django) use extend, to import an extension
> module that makes a connection to a database.
>
> If you have used embed, you might have consulted a page such as:
>      http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/plpython-funcs.html
>
> --
> Jonathan

Yup, have used plpythonu within postgres without too many problems.
Although I do recall once that using the CSV module to load and filter
external data, did consume a massive amount of memory. Even though the
entire procedure was iterator based -- never did work out if it was
postgres caching, or some other weird stuff. [That was about 2 years
ago though]

Jon.