Parsing Binary Structures; Is there a better way / What is your way?

Martin P. Hellwig martin.hellwig at
Wed Aug 5 21:41:26 CEST 2009

Paul Rubin wrote:
> "Martin P. Hellwig" <martin.hellwig at> writes:
>> Is there an advantage using shifts and masks over my kitchen type solution?
> Weren't you complaining about the 8-to-1 expansion from turning each bit
> to an ascii char?

Yes you are (of course) right, my 'dream' solution would be something
that accepts slice indeces on bit level. Your reasoning did reveal some
flaws in my approach though ;-)

'If consumed, best digested with added seasoning to own preference.'