Python docs disappointing - group effort to hire writers?

r rt8396 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 23:35:43 EDT 2009

On Aug 4, 12:55 am, David Lyon <david.l... at preisshare.net> wrote:
> It isn't totally about the writers...
> Peoples egos are also at stake - it seems.
> If "Fred X wrote Doc Y".. they don't want their name taken off.. So
> they generally speaking don't want the docs changed.
> If you talk too much about docs.. you can be told you're OT..
> even in a thread about docs...

This is the most honest post within this thread. Yes i believe --
although it does not make me happy-- that many within this community
are hostile, vulgar, and viscous towards any notion of change if it
comes from outside the "insiders" group (and even sometimes from the
inside). Which is very sad.

Yes sometimes people are just trolling, but this tread has nothing to
do with trolling. kj has a legitimate complaint. Do i believe the docs
are a complete waste of bytes, No! Many people have invested tons of
hard work into them (and i thank them for their hard work). But i do
believe --like all things in this word-- perfection is always just out
of hands reach, we must constantly seek perfection because we can
never attain it. Like any group effort, eventually it will adopt the
idioms of self indulgence. Python dev needs the input of those who are
not experts in the language --especially in the realm of docs.

It is so easy to forget the struggles we face when learning something
new. The accessibility and appeal of Python to new users is in the
best interest of this community. If you don't believe that, you are
pissing on all the years of hard work that has been put in here. You
might as well just tell Guido to "close up shop"

I have posted this once before but i will post it again. Please read
Christopher's words carefully because they apply to this community in
a big way...Don't fall into the trap of narcissism.

Christopher Lasch referring to the pitfalls of Narcissistic societies:

"""In such a society of constant competition, there can be no allies,
and little transparency. The threats to
acquisitions of social symbols are so numerous, varied and frequently
incomprehensible, that defensiveness, as well as competitiveness,
becomes a way of life. Any real sense of community is undermined -- or
even destroyed -- to be replaced by virtual equivalents that strive,
unsuccessfully, to synthesize a sense of community."""

While I agree that some narcissism is vital to an individuals ego in
competitive atmospheres, I do not believe the Python community
warrants this need.