Help with regex

Robert Dailey rcdailey at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 12:43:42 EDT 2009

On Aug 6, 11:12 am, Roman <atra... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 06/08/09 08:35, Robert Dailey wrote:
>

> > Hey guys,
>
> > I'm creating a python script that is going to try to search a text
> > file for any text that matches my regular expression. The thing it is
> > looking for is:
>
> > FILEVERSION #,#,#,#
>
> > The # symbol represents any number that can be any length 1 or
> > greater. Example:
>
> > FILEVERSION 1,45,10082,3
>
> > The regex should only match the exact above. So far here's what I have
> > come up with:
>
> > re.compile( r'FILEVERSION (?:[0-9]+\,){3}[0-9]+' )
>
> > This works, but I was hoping for something a bit cleaner. I'm having
> > to create a special case portion of the regex for the last of the 4
> > numbers simply because it doesn't end with a comma like the first 3.
> > Is there a better, more compact, way to write this regex?
> > --
>
> Since there cannot be more than one "end of string" you can try this
> expression:
> re.compile( r'FILEVERSION (?:[0-9]+(,|$)){4}' )

I had thought of this but I can't use that either. I have to assume
that someone was silly and put text at the end somewhere, perhaps a
comment. Like so:

FILEVERSION 1,2,3,4     // This is the file version

It would be nice if there was a type of counter for regex. So you
could say 'match only 1 [^,]' or something like that...