Python docs disappointing - group effort to hire writers?

Kee Nethery kee at kagi.com
Thu Aug 6 14:36:31 EDT 2009

As someone trying to learn the language I want to say that the tone on
this list towards people who are trying to learn Python  feels like it
has become anti-newbies.

Learning a new language is difficult enough without seeing other
newbies getting shamed for not knowing everything there is to know
about Python before asking their questions.

For example, the guy who was looking for Python sample code for the
Google Map API, calling him a troll was harsh. Suggesting he broach
the question to Google was a reasonable answer. By the same token, his
asking this list about the missing Python examples seems reasonable
also. Seems to me that people on a Python list might have some
background knowledge or even samples of the Google Python code that
was no longer on the Google web site.

There seems to be a general consensus among the newbies that other
languages have a user contributions resource tied to the main official
docs to allow newbies to teach each other what they have learned. The
desire is for python.org to have the same kind of support resource so
that us newbies can self support each other.

Kee Nethery