How to write replace string for object which will be substituted? [regexp]

Aahz aahz at
Thu Aug 6 22:16:33 CEST 2009

In article <mailman.4260.1249424426.8015.python-list at>,
ryniek90  <ryniek90 at> wrote:
>I started learning regexp, and some things goes well, but most of them
>still not.

1) 'Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use
regular expressions."  Now they have two problems.'
--Jamie Zawinski, comp.emacs.xemacs, 8/1997

2) If you really want to learn regexes, get a copy of _Mastering Regular
Expressions_ by Friedl (either 2nd or 3rd edition)
Aahz (aahz at           <*>

"...string iteration isn't about treating strings as sequences of strings,
it's about treating strings as sequences of characters.  The fact that
characters are also strings is the reason we have problems, but characters
are strings for other good reasons."  --Aahz