Python docs disappointing - group effort to hire writers?

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Tue Aug 11 10:12:17 EDT 2009

David Lyon wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 09:13:34 -0700, Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us>
> wrote:
>
>>As someone who relies heavily on the docs I will also say that the idea
>>of giving the ability to modify the official documentation to somebody
>>who is /learning/ the language is, quite frankly, terrifying.
>

> What is more terrifying is the way feedback from newbies is handled.
>
> Your statement implies that the only way feedback can be handled is
> to throw the keys down in discust and walk away. That's primative
> behaviour. And misleading, because that isn't going to happen.

Allow me to put back the sentence you unfairly snipped:
> I have no issues with a seperate system, some of which have been
> suggested, but good reference documentation is crucial.  If you find
> examples lacking, there are plenty of web-sites, or even (dare I say
> it?) actual hard-copy books!  ;)

To be clear, what I am advocating is that *official documentation not be
opened up to everybody,* _especially not people who don't yet grok the
language_.

>>My bookshelf currently has Learning Python, Programming
>>Python, Python Cookbook, Python Programming on Win32, and Regular
>>Expressions.  All great books, and not too pricey if you can get them
>
> used.
>
> So, what you're advocating is let things stay how they are...
>
> Ignore feedback... tell people to freak off...

I had not addressed feedback before, but I shall do so now:  Discuss
concern on the Python list first to make sure it is not a lack of
understanding, then, if a legitimate issue with the docs exists, use the
bug tracker.  If one can't be bothered to take the time to be a
Responsible Citizen, I am not going to be bothered by lacking that one's
comments/concerns/feed-back.

~Ethan~