Monkeypatching an object to become callable

Nikolaus Rath Nikolaus at rath.org
Tue Aug 11 19:21:16 EDT 2009

Bruno Desthuilliers <bruno.42.desthuilliers at websiteburo.invalid> writes:
> 7stud a écrit :
> (snip)
>> class Wrapper(object):
>>     def __init__(self, obj, func):
>>         self.obj = obj
>>         self.func = func
>>
>>     def __call__(self, *args):
>>         return self.func(*args)
>>
>>     def __getattr__(self, name):
>>         return object.__getattribute__(self.obj, name)
>
> This should be
>
>           return getattr(self.obj, name)
>
> directly calling object.__getattribute__ might skip redefinition of
> __getattribute__ in self.obj.__class__ or it's mro.

Works nicely, thanks. I came up with the following shorter version which
modifies the object in-place:

class Modifier(obj.__class__):
     def __call__(self):
         return fn()

obj.__class__ = Modifier

To me this seems a bit more elegant (less code, less underscores). Or
are there some cases where the above would fail?

Best,

   -Nikolaus