Need cleanup advice for multiline string

Robert Dailey rcdailey at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 10:47:58 EDT 2009

On Aug 12, 9:41 am, Robert Dailey <rcdai... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 12, 9:09 am, exar... at twistedmatrix.com wrote:

> > >Having someone present technical informations with porn content cannot
> > >be qualified as "prevalent in our industry". I would even dare to say
> > >this is the opposite, it is almost unique.
> > >I would also add that Robert was very far from this attitude, I
> > >consider his joke as a friendly tickle, not a male chauvinist
> > >aggression. I'm no women, but I'm sure they are as capable as me, not
> > >to say more, of making the distinction.
>
> > >It has been said this list is not very friendly to newbies, let's not
> > >make it hostile to gentle jokes (even those not funny) when thanking
> > >helpers.
>
> > It's lots of little things like this which combine to create an
> > environment which is less friendly towards women than it is towards
> > others.  You might read it as a joke, others might not.  Even if it is a
> > joke, it's in poor taste and doesn't really belong on python-list.
>
> > There's a difference between pointing out inappropriate behavior and
> > being unfriendly.  Hopefully Robert got help with his problem.  That's
> > what the list is here for.  Having accomplished that, it is not
> > unfriendly to ask him not to make disparaging comments, "jokes" or
> > otherwise, about groups of people.
>
> > Jean-Paul
>
> Hey everyone,
>
> I was actually joking about my remark, I was making fun of the fact
> that Bearophile took my figure of speech literally. I have worked with
> a lot of women in the past and they even use "guys" to refer to
> everyone in a room (When there were obviously other females in that
> room as well).
>
> On a more serious note, I do apologize to those offended by my remark.
> I realize that these things can be a touchy subject for some people. I
> expected more of a laid-back attitude from everyone. No need to be so
> serious all the time. I cannot completely doubt that there are logical
> women out there. I just haven't seen one yet. But that doesn't mean
> I'm a sexist.
>
> With my apology presented, I would like to propose that we end the
> discussion here. As I said, this is a very sensitive subject and this
> thread could spin way out of control if we don't just ignore the
> issue. For those that took it as a friendly, harmless joke, hopefully
> you had a laugh. For those that took it seriously or as an offense,
> please take my apology to heart. Thanks once again to everyone for
> your help. I've long been a member of this community and I really
> appreciate the continuous support I've been receiving!
>
> Take care everyone!

Oh, one last thing... So everyone knows, I chose the following
formatting solution to multiline strings:

def MyFunction():
   multilineString = (
      'This is a string that spans '
      'multiple lines.'
      )
   print( multilineString )

I think this is as good as it is going to get for my personal needs.
However, I do not like having to put a space at the end of each
string. I've also done this in the past, which is slightly more ugly:

  multilineString = (
     'This is a string that spans',
     'multiple lines.'
     )
  print( ' '.join( multilineString ) )

This will add the spaces between lines for you. However, in a
production quality application I would always have strings external to
the scripts and have an advanced localization system. However this is
useful for quick little scripts that I want to keep tidy.