socket.send : (11, 'Resource temporarily unavailable')

Gabriel Rossetti gabriel.rossetti at arimaz.com
Fri Aug 14 03:47:50 EDT 2009

Gabriel Rossetti wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I get a (11, 'Resource temporarily unavailable') error when I try to
> send a file using a socket. Is there s size limit? I tried sending a
> smaller file and ii poses no problem. Am I doing something wrong? Here
> is the code:
>
> def sendMessage(host, port, msg):
>
>    if isinstance(msg, unicode):
>        msg = msg.encode("utf-8")
>      sock = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM)
>    sock.connect((host, port))
>    sock.setblocking(0)
>    totalsent = 0
>    while totalsent < len(msg):
>        sent = sock.send(msg[totalsent:])
>        if sent == 0:
>            raise RuntimeError, "socket connection broken"
>        totalsent = totalsent + sent
>    sock.close()
>
> Thank you,
> Gabriel

Actually, the original code didn't have the sock.setblocking(0), the
problem I am trying to find is that the server does have
sock.setblocking(0) (I can't change that) and it is getting the same
error as my client has with the sock.setblocking(0), except it gets it
on the accept() call. I tried modifying my code to be like this :

def sendMessage(host, port, msg):

    if isinstance(msg, unicode):
        msg = msg.encode("utf-8")

    burstSize = 4096

    sock = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM)
    sock.connect((host, port))
    while msg:
        sent = sock.send(msg[:burstSize])
        print "Sending %d bytes..." % sent
        if sent == 0:
            raise RuntimeError, "socket connection broken"
        msg = msg[burstSize:]
    sock.close()

thinking maybe if I send small parts it would work better but this does
not seem to change anything.
How are large msgs sent w/ a socket in python to a non-blocking server?
The msg I'm trying to send is 175213 bytes long.

Thank,
Gabriel