implementing descriptors

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Fri Aug 14 09:39:31 EDT 2009

dippim schrieb:
> On Aug 14, 5:45 am, Jean-Michel Pichavant <jeanmic... at sequans.com>
> wrote:
>> Emile van Sebille wrote:
>>> On 8/13/2009 3:17 PM dippim said...
>>> why not...
>>> class foo(object):
>>>    def __init__(self,a = None,b = None)
>>>       self.start = min(a,b)
>>>       self.end = max(a,b)
>>> Emile
>> or
>>
>> class foo(object):
>>     def __init__(self, start, end)
>>        self.start = start
>>        self.end = end
>>
>> Problem solved by design :o)
>>
>> JM
>
> Emile and JM,
>
>    Thanks for the response.  However, these solution only work at
> instantiation.  If I change the value of start or end after
> instantiation, then I can make start or end whatever I like without
> regard to order.

But for that, you don't need descriptors. All you need is a property:

class Foo(object):

    def __init__(self, start, end):
        self._start = start
        self._end = end

    @property
    def start(self):
        return start

    @start.setter
    def start(self, value):
        if value >= self._end:
           raise ValueError, "Tried to set a value greater than end!"
        self._start = value

    # repeat for end, switch relational op

Diez