Is it possible to use python to get True Full Duplex on a Serial port?

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Sat Aug 15 08:40:35 EDT 2009

Hendrik van Rooyen wrote:
> In the past, on this  group, I have made statements that said that on Linux,
> the serial port handling somehow does not allow transmitting and receiving at
> the same time, and nobody contradicted me.

Despite all the good comments here by other skilled people I'd recommend to
determine whether the transmission line to the devices accessed support full
duplex.

My knowledge is a bit rusty on this topic. But I vaguely remember having to
deal with symmetric two-wire connections (RS-485) which were definitely
limited to half-duplex by the wire. So the PC hardware was a normal serial
port with the usual UART hardware device but the transmission protocols were
limited to half-duplex.

Ciao, Michael.