Python docs disappointing - group effort to hire writers?

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at
Sat Aug 15 18:47:07 CEST 2009

Bill Jones wrote:
> On Aug 8, 3:27 pm, Mark Lawrence <breamore... at> wrote:
>> Kee Nethery wrote:
>>> As someone trying to learn the language I want to say that the tone on
>>> this list towards people who are trying to learn Python  feels like it
>>> has become anti-newbies.
>> [snip]
>>> Kee Nethery
>> My gut feeling (which could of course be wrong) is that many hard core
>> Pythonistas are cheesed off with newbies who refuse to help themselves.
> The funny thing is that their response is to shutdown changes that are
> intended
> to *help* newbies help themselves. It seems self-defeating to me.
And I still do not believe this to be true.  Documents are being changed
all the time.  See the python-dev mailing list "Summary of python
tracker issues" dated 17/24/31 July and 07/14 August 2009.  The only
request I recall being rejected is someone objecting to the use of
"weapons" in a piece of sample code.

Also see Issue6660 on the bug tracker, it is of particular interest to
anyone who's interested in plans for documentation links.

Kindest regards.

Mark Lawrence.