Problem Regarding Handling of Unicode string

joy99 subhakolkata1234 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 07:19:06 EDT 2009

On Aug 11, 1:17 pm, John Machin <sjmac... at lexicon.net> wrote:
> On Aug 10, 9:26 pm, joy99 <subhakolkata1... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Dear Group,
>
> > I am using Python26 on WindowsXP with service pack2. My GUI is IDLE.
> > I am using Hindi resources and get nice output like:
> > एक
> > where I can use all the re functions and other functions without doing
> > any transliteration,etc.
> > I was trying to use Bengali but it is giving me output like:
>
> WHAT is giving you this output?
>
> > '\xef\xbb\xbf\xe0\xa6\x85\xe0\xa6\xa8\xe0\xa7\x87\xe0\xa6\x95'
>
> In a very ordinary IDLE session (Win XP SP3, Python 2.6.2, locale:
> Australia/English, no "Hindi resources"):

> u'\ufeff\u0985\u09a8\u09c7\u0995'>>> print ux
>
> অনেক # looks like what you wanted; please confirm>>> import unicodedata
>
>         print unicodedata.name(c)
>
> ZERO WIDTH NO-BREAK SPACE # this is a BOM
> BENGALI LETTER A
> BENGALI LETTER NA
> BENGALI VOWEL SIGN E
> BENGALI LETTER KA
>

> > I wanted to see Bengali output as
> > অনেক
> > and I like to use all functions including re.
> > If any one can help me on that.
>
> "I am using Hindi resources" doesn't tell us much ... except to prompt
> the comment that perhaps if you want to display Bengali script, you
> may need Bengali resources. However it looks like I can display your
> Bengali data without any special resources.
>
> It seems like you are not doing the same with Bengali as you are doing
> with Hindi. We can't help you very much if you don't show exactly what
> you are doing.
>
> Have you considered asking in an Indian Python forum? Note: you will
> still need to say what you are doing that works with Hindi but not
> with Bengali.
>
> Cheers,
> John

Dear Group,
I have already worked out my solution but everyone of yours' answers
helped me to see different solutions from different angles. Thank you
for the same. I am building some social network program in Bengali. I
just gave the transliteration problem which was giving me problem, I
thought as you are very expert pythoners so it would be minutes'
matter. By your answers I saw I was not wrong. But as I solved the
problem so I checked it bit late. Sorry for the same.
Best Regards,
Subhabrata.