zip codes

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid
Mon Aug 17 10:04:42 EDT 2009

On 2009-08-17, Sjoerd Mullender <sjoerd at acm.org> wrote:

> Also in The Netherlands, ZIP codes are much more fine-grained than in
> some other countries: ZIP code plus house number together are sufficient
> to uniquely identify an address.  I.e. you don't need the street name.
> E.g., my work address has ZIP code 1098 XG and house number 123, so
> together they indicate that I work at Science Park 123, Amsterdam.
>
> In other words, a simple city <-> ZIP mapping is not sufficient.

Same here in the US.  A 5-digit zip code narrows it down to a
neghborhood within a city, and a full 9-digit zip code is
shared with perhaps 5-10 houses -- generally I believe it
identifies one side of a one-block section of a street in a
single-family-home residential area.  In apartment or office
buildings a 9-digit zip code generally identifies a specific
floor in a specific building.  Most companies of any size have
their own zip code (or codes).  My company only has ~40
employees, and we have our own unique zip code.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! Here I am at the flea
                                  at               market but nobody is buying