Data visualization in Python

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid
Mon Aug 17 15:29:36 EDT 2009

On 2009-08-17, kj <no.email at please.post> wrote:

> I'm looking for a good Python package for visualizing
> scientific/statistical data.  (FWIW, the OS I'm interested in
> is Mac OS X).

Both matplotlib and gnuplot-py can produce pretty good results
with a minimum of effort:

  http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/
  http://gnuplot-py.sourceforge.net/

I lean more towards gnuplot, but that's probably just a bias
from having used Gnuplot for 10+ years before learning Python.
Both matplotlib and gnuplot are basically 2D packages with some
3D features.

There's also a Python binding for VTK.  I found it a bit harder
to use for the stuff I did, but sophisticated 3D stuff it's
probably the winner:

  http://www.vtk.org/

[It also has the only Delaunay triangulation module (of the 3
that I tried) that worked reliably, but you probably don't care
about that.]

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! Let me do my TRIBUTE
                                  at               to FISHNET STOCKINGS ...