urlopen errors in script

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Tue Aug 18 07:21:59 EDT 2009

Sleepy Cabbage wrote:

> I'm scripting a superkaramba theme using python and have intgrated output
> from amarok. I have also would like to show the artist and song title from
> a radio stream i've added to my playlist.
>
> If I open a python console and add the following:
>
> ">>>import urllib2"
> ">>>from urllib2 import urlopen"
>
> ">>>nowplaying = str.split(urlopen('http://www.hearteastmids.co.uk//
> jsfiles/NowPlayingDisplay.aspx?f=http%3A%2F%2Frope.ccap.fimc.net%2Ffeeds%
> 2Fnowplaying%2FGlobal%2FHeart_Network%2FHeart_East_Midlands%
> 2F6854.xml&l=6854&tzc=8&at=HeartEastMids').read(),'>')"
>
> ">>>print test[4][:-3]"
>
> this works and displays the artist and song title.
>
> However, when I add this to my script I get the following errors:

Please give a minimal version of your script that produces the error, not
some arbitrary excerpt that you ran successfully on the command line.

If I were to guess: you are doing something like

import socket
socket.socket = socket

somewhere, thus confusing the socket class with the module of the same name.

Peter