Need cleanup advice for multiline string

Simon Forman sajmikins at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 17:13:02 EDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 1:05 PM, Jean-Michel
Pichavant<jeanmichel at sequans.com> wrote:

>> [...]
>>

>>> It's a figure of speech. And besides, why would I want programming
>>> advice from a woman? lol. Thanks for the help.
>>>

>> Sorry, Robert, simply not acceptable. Whether designed to be funny or
>> not it's the kind of inane remark I would be really happy never to see
>> again.
>>
>> The problem is that we can't just "let these things go by" all the
>> time (even though we aren't discussing a major crime here). If we do
>> that it encourages (at best) an atmosphere of complacency and a
>> feeling that it's OK to demean people in Python forums. I'd really
>> like to see those *not* get a hold.
>>
>> regards
>>  Steve
>>

> Did you read the original post (this is an old one) ? Because quoting a joke
> out of its context is totally unfair.

Unfair to whom?

In any event, the context here seems to be a mixture of Guy Fawkes
trivia and general disapproval of sexist remarks on c.l.p, so I don't
see this comment as "out of context".

(For the record, I use "guys" to refer to groups of people regardless
of their gender.  I also use "dude" to refer to people regardless of
their gender.  The only person who has taken offense to this is my
mom.  "I am not a dude."  But she means she's not a cowboy, not not a
male.) (Uh, she is, in fact, female.)

> Anyway the hysteria that is surrounding this thread is just amazing. I'm
> waiting for more.

I don't feel hysterical, only appalled.

The OP used a common slang term, someone mentioned that the term
implies a group of males when in fact the group being addressed is
mixed gender, and the OP replied that it was "just a figure of
speech".

So far, so good. But then the OP made a sexist "joke".  He was called
on it and issued a rather gracious apology, but then he dropped
another sexist turd right in the middle of his otherwise model
apology.

I won't speak for anyone else, but I was appalled.

Sexism, racism, homophobia, religious intolerance, etc., all stem from
a fundamental forgetfulness of our Unity in God (as I would put it)
and this is perhaps the single greatest cause of human misery.

We are one family.