Call for Papers - PyCon Asia Pacific 2010

mauriceling@acm.org mauriceling at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 20:49:56 EDT 2009

Dear fellow friends and colleagues,

I apologize if you had received multiple copies of this Call for
Papers.
Maurice
Call for Papers - PyCon Asia Pacific 2010

PyCon Asia Pacific 2010 represents a major development for the Python
community in the Asia Pacific region. In Asia Pacific, we are
encouraged by the country-level initiatives of Python conferences in
India and New Zealand. We fully expect that PyCon Asia Pacific will be
hosted by different APAC countries as the momentum of Python develops
in the region.

Quote : “…Python development in the Asia Pacific region is proceeding
rapidly… I would very much like to highlight the special nature of
this conference…. I hope that my presence will help to further
international cooperation on Python development”
Steven Holden, Chairman, Python Software Foundation (PSF)
Keynote, PyCon Asia Pacific 2010

PyCon Asia Pacific 2010’s is looking for proposals from the Python
community to fill its formal presentation tracks. The Conference Days
will be June 10-11, 2010 in Singapore, preceded by a Tutorial Day
(June 9). (http://apac.pycon.org)

Important Dates
-----------------------
•	Call for Papers: August 15, 2009
•	Deadline for Paper Submissions: February 1, 2010
•	Notification of Paper Acceptance: March 15, 2010
•	Conference Registration Open: March 15, 2010
•	Submission of Camera-Ready Paper: April 15, 2010
•	Conference Days: June 10 - 11, 2010 (preceded by tutorials on the
June 9, 2010)

PyCon Topics
--------------------
PyCon conferences worldwide have had a broad range of presentations,
ranging from reports on academic and commercial projects to tutorials
and case studies. We hope to continue that tradition here at PyCon
Asia Pacific in Singapore. As long as the presentation is interesting
and potentially useful to the Python community, it will be considered
for inclusion in the program. We are especially interested in short
presentations that will teach conference-goers something new and
useful.

Suitable topics for PyCon Asia Pacific 2010 presentations include, but
are not limited to:
•	Core Python and other implementations: IronPython, Jython, PyPy and
Stackless.
•	Python libraries and extensions
•	Business Applications
•	Databases
•	Embedding and Extending Python
•	Game Programming
•	GUI Programming
•	Network Programming
•	Python in IT Security
•	Open Source Python projects
•	Packaging Issues
•	Programming Tools
•	Project Best Practices
•	Python in Education, Science and Math
•	System Administration
•	Web Programming (Django, Zope, TurboGears, WSGI)

Talk Format
-----------------
The preferred length for talks is 30 minutes. Session lengths include
time for audience questions. You should budget at least five minutes
for questions; for example, a 30-minute talk will be 25 minutes of
presentation and 5 minutes of questions. Open Space rooms will also be
available for follow-up sessions.

Proposal Submission
-------------------------------
The primary author should submit a proposal, after which additional
authors can be added. This is to help us make arrangements for
reviewers and draft the conference programme. The proposal must
include the following:
•	Talk title.
•	Choice of one or more category tag.
•	Level. Indicate the intended audience difficulty level i.e.
beginner, intermediate or advanced.
•	Summary (max 100 words) for the website.
•	Description : Detailed outline for review; notes for reviewers and
permission for your talk to be recorded.

Your proposal will be reviewed by the programme committee. If your
proposal is accepted, you should thereafter include:
•	a companion paper (up to 30 pages) OR
•	an extended abstract (up to 3 pages)

along with your presentation. Go to http://us.pycon.org/2008/conference/proposals/
example1/ for an example of a conference talk proposal.

Please send your proposal (and any questions) to
conference at pugs.org.sg.

Companion Paper or Extended Abstract Submission
All presenters should submit a paper by the deadline above, with or
without prior proposal submission.

This submission is to be your full paper (companion paper or extended
abstract), not a draft. It should contain all of the usual aspects of
a paper such as an abstract, introduction, body and conclusion. Please
ensure that this submission has had its grammar and spelling corrected
and that code snippets work.

Your paper will be peer-reviewed by the programme committee and a
notice of paper acceptance with review comments will be sent to the
author(s) on March 15, 2010.

Accepted papers can be amended by the author(s), taking into account
of reviewers' comments and submit for publication by April 15, 2010.

•	All papers will be published in The Python Papers Monograph series
(www.pythonpapers.org). We suggest, but do not require, all authors to
place their papers under the Creative Commons license.
•	Please see http://www.pythonpapers.org/instAuthor.html for the
preferred formats of submission.
•	Please submit your papers at http://ojs.pythonpapers.org/index.php/tppm/author.
Your paper allows attendees who attended your talk a chance to refresh
their memories about your presentation, and gives attendees who missed
your talk a chance to learn from you anyway. Make sure your paper
includes - at the very least - a brief introduction to your subject
material and a list of further resources.

Assistance
PyCon Asia Pacific 2010 in Singapore cannot offer payment or free
registration to all conference speakers. However, financial aid will
be available were possible, and giving a talk is a great rationale. If
you require financial aid in order to attend PyCon Asia Pacific 2010
in Singapore, please note it in your proposal. If you have any
questions, contact conference at pugs.org.sg.